Apr 20, 2010

TRAVEL PREP

In my next life I want to come back as my husband.

We (he and I) are leaving for Napa on Wednesday and  he evidently had nothing to do yesterday. Me? I lost count of the things I had to do.

Some of the things I did yesterday (afternoon):

  • washed EVERBODY'S clothes, including college student's things she left at home for me to do
  • put together school outfits, soccer practice uniforms, soccer game uniforms and PE clothes for #3 and laid them all out in an organized fashion on her bed including matching earrings and shoes
  • planned meals and bought groceries for the days I will be gone
  • made spaghetti sauce while making tonight's dinner to put in fridge to be eaten while I am gone
  • marinated chicken and am planning to grill tomorrow morning to store in fridge..... see above
  • made too many phone calls ironing out carpool details 
  • packed, unpacked after looking up weather forecast and repacked
  • went to Petsmart to have ID tags made for two little cute puppies
  • watered all of the plants
  • had a pedicure 
  • went to a soccer game
  • called out science questions and learned more than I ever wanted to know about the atmosphere

Some of the things he did yesterday:


  • went to soccer game
  • ate half of the spaghetti sauce that was supposed to be for the girls while we were gone
  • stood in kitchen and watched a hockey game
  • talked about packing
  • laid on bed and watched poker
  • decided to pack Tuesday night
  • asked me around 11:30 PM if there was anything I needed him to do
  • asked me around 11:45 PM if I was going to wash #3's soccer uniform before going to bed
I guess I will cut him some slack and give him bonus points for going to work yesterday. I had to stay home to wait for the lawnmower repairman. He was supposed to come between 8:00 and 1:00. He never showed and we have rescheduled him for next week. I wasted valuable time. 

Before we ever go anywhere, my To Do list always is overwhelming. The man of the house has the ability to just not do things and not worry about the things he doesn't do. He can pack his little bit of clothes in fifteen minutes (after asking me if navy and khaki go together one more time), leave the house and know that everything has been taken care of.  Me, I will need a vacation from all of the vacation prep! 

Next stop..... Napa Valley!

12 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Preach it sister!!!

Have a great trip!

MCW said...

This made me laugh. Are the older girls watching #3 while you are gone?
Such a good mom getting everything together including the matching shoes and earrings!

Formerly known as Frau said...

People in Germany take a week to prep for their vacations go for 5-6 weeks and take a week after to recoup! Can you imagine! Have a fun relaxing trip!

Carrie B said...

Oh my gosh, that would totally be my house pre-trip!

So much to do that when he suggested a trip I tended to say no, due to the pre-travel craziness! Including doing HIS packing!

Ah, don't we just love 'em?

Joyce said...

This could be my house. My hubs likes to say 'I'm going to pack light'...kind of like he's hoping the girls and I will too. We laugh and say he ends up bringing more than we do.

Have a wonderful time! Sounds fantastic and it will be once you're there : )

Jill said...

OMG- they're all alike. The standing in the kitchen watching TV thing kills me. And always right in front of the drawer/door you need to get into. God love 'em.

Jolyn said...

How very true this is...It's like is this worth it..An I get honey why are you stressed??? I ended up with hives for 3 months after preparing for porta Rico and was in med 5 out of 7 days there...I guess its a mom thing when it comes to preparing for our children. Any ways have a wonderful time in Napa..
Jolyn

preppyplayer said...

Sounds like you covered everything. And be glad you did!
Until something like a volcano grounds you in Germany, you don't realize how important it is making sure everything is taken care of!

Darla DiStefano said...

Is everyone's husband just like that because it sounds like you described mine to a T! He perches in the kitchen and watches TV...he does cook though so I guess I shouldn't complain, LOL!

Basement Bags Girl said...

Makes me tired just reading about your schedule...probably one of the reasons why I just stay at home. LOL Hope you have a great trip!

Claremont First Ward said...

When we go away my husband has to pack his own clothes. I on the other hand have a list about as long as yours. :)

Denise said...

Thanks for your sweet comments on my last blog post. It really does help to realize that other people know and understand what it's like to lose your mother.

Your post makes me laugh! I have often thought (ruefully) that husbands have it easy. Your description pretty much sums up pre-vacation activity around my house, too. I refer to the needed post-vacation vacation as "Vacation Detox."