Apr 28, 2010

NAPA TWO


More on our trip.....

We took a group tour while we were in  Napa one day
 and the next day we went on a private tour. 
Our last day we went out on our own.
Both of tours were with the same company and
the itineraries were not set on either tour until the drivers talked with us and everyone
to find out what we wanted and where we wanted to go. 
We both thought the group tour was a lot of fun because we were able to meet people 
and our driver Kevin was great.

Probably the best part is that they do not cater or contract with the larger/touristy wineries,
but had great connections with the smaller family owned ones. 

This is Oakville Grocery,
a little general store where you can get great gourmet picnics and snacks. 






Some pictures of the different wineries we went to:













dipping a bottle in gold wax
This winery was releasing a special bottle of wine the next day and let our group help them dip the bottles.



down in a cave at a barrel tasting






They hung artificial grapes up for camera happy people like me! 




In reality, this is what the vines looked like.
They call this time of year "Bud Season".



I would love to go back in the fall and see all of the grapes hanging on the vines!











This is a little more elaborate winery.




There was italian opera playing, chandeliers and candles everywhere down in this cave.



The man that owns this winery imported every stone of this castle from Italy.
This was a little touristy and we didn't want to pay to go in, we just walked around the grounds
and enjoyed the views. 




 Cheers!



7 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I see you had a picnic. Did you pack it or do they sell a picnic??? I love that picture of the two of you!

Betsy said...

Wow! Your trip sounds amazing!!! I have always wanted to go to Napa. It is just so beautiful and serene. It looks like y'all had an awesome time and all your pictures are so good!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a great trip you are having. I have never been to California and want to go someday. You two look like you are having fun. Enjoy! Love & blessings from NC!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great pictures I think I'm with you steer away from the touristy ones. I want to go so bad!! Have a great day!

rachel... said...

Great photos! Looks like an amazing trip, and I don't even like wine!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Thought about you yesterday. I know it was bitter sweet. Happy Mother's Day.

MCW said...

Just checking in...Haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope all is well :)