Jun 30, 2014

FATHER'S DAY AND BEYOND







     You would think that the summer time would slow us down around here, but it does not.

      The summer days are just ticking away. This is a sweet summer for us and I know there will never be another one like it.  The house is full of noise and activity (minus a little) this year. I love it and appreciate what is here now, but am missing the good ole'days of girls coming and going, wet footprints leading to the "monkey" bathroom, pool towels piled in a heap on the laundry room floor and a never ending carpet of crumbs on the counter.

      I have two girls home this summer.

      Brittany is a UNC Nursing School graduate and is still looking for a job. Finding a job as a new nurse graduate in the Triangle is a looooong blog post itself,  especially with the healthcare system so erratic right now.  Anyways, she is living at home now and working part-time in an office.  With Barrett being a rising senior, I know next summer will be very different with all the college prep and dorm room planning going on .  She and I are spending a lot of girl time together and trying to check a lot off of our to do list.  Brooke is the one not here. She is living in DC and has a schedule that you cannot put your thumb on or plan anything around since she is a flight attendant .  We talk all day via texting and usually have a conversation at night. I do not emotionally miss her thanks to technology and social media, but oh how I physically miss her! I miss her curled up in her chair smack dab in front of the TV watching the Kardahsians or So You Think You Can Dance while eating chips and salsa.  I miss her crawling in bed with me and her dad late at night while we watch TV.

     I feel like I am in transition.

     I know there are great things on the horizon and I cannot wait for them, but right now I am half full on good days and other days I am half empty.  I am working part time and I want to be a full time employee.

     I am so blessed with what I have going on today and I know it. I love the summer time and the time we do spend together.

     Here are some summer pictures so far…..

 

A dad and his dogs





and me and my frog! 



*******

Art brought home two box seat tickets to see Katie Perry
and 
Barrett and I were happy to use them. 




The concert was really good - very colorful and entertaining. 
I had to joke and compare her to Miss Miley………


Katy did an entire show without sticking out her tongue, dropping the F bomb or grabbing her crotch! 
Imagine that! 




The guys caught up on their sleep while we were gone and watched the World Cup.




On the nights when Art is out of town, we have full-blown girl's nights……
sewing in the kitchen, baking and Netflixing.








********
We decided to not go to the beach this past weekend and stayed home to catch up some things. 
Art got busy tackeling some of the overgrown trees in the yard. 
He had to rent an industrial size chain saw from HD and it came with  a very unsexy safety suit. 





He also got busy putting together and installing two sections of fence in front of the pool pumps. 
We have planted (and spent tons of money) trying to camouflage this area, but the deer have devoured everything everytime. We decided to not plant a forth time
and 
put a fence in front of the pumps instead.




I am so happy with how it turned out. 

 We now have a white picket fence inside a black metal fenced area and I suppose we are breaking a lot of designer rules mixing everything together, but I do not care. 



Finally, after five years, something deer proof!




While Art did that, I tidied up the rest of the backyard,




 dead headed my flower pots,




weeded the beds,




and took a little nap on the patio couch…in the shade. 



*******
Sunday after church we went to the (NC) State Farmer's Market.



It is huge and wonderful! 














I buy an elephant garlic from the Garlic Lady everytime I am there. 



And I cannot resist the flowers even though I have a yard full at home. 








 We are headed to the beach for the Fourth!
What are you doing? 




   
   





   

6 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Some of the kids and grands are coming for the 4th. We may do a low country boil instead of a cookout. You have a gorgeous backyard! Have fun at the beach! What are you doing part time?

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Awww... now I miss my girls even more. This is the first summer without either one being at home. Those sewing/baking/netfliks nights look like they are pretty fun!

Pink in a sea of blue said...

I have to get to the NC Farmer's Market! I haven't been in a long time. At OIB now watching World Cup. Newport Street, btw, waiting on Mr. Pink and our friends to arrive. I hope the hurricane doesn't dump a lot of rain here. Katy Perry IS awesome in concert. Saw her 2 yrs ago at PNC.

This American Wife said...

Love the charming little fence in front of the pool pump. Very charming.

Linda said...

Hey there friend! Not doing much this year on the 4th. Things have been sad around here these days. My beloved sister suddenly passed away March 2nd. It was/is devastating to me as she was my true soul mate, my best friend my whole life. I know you recently went thru the loss of your mother and I now know what that kind of loss feels like. Truly devastating. I'm trying to focus on life even though my world came tumbling down. It will take time I know.

Lobster Meets Peach said...

Your yard is simple divine!