Sep 19, 2017

Paris Part Deux



     On our second day in Paris, we left our hotel and headed straight to Notre Dame to beat the line and crowds.  We had a very short line when we got there and were inside in about five minutes. We had forgotten that it was Sunday and we were surprised that mass was being held.  We sat for a few minutes "to get our church in",  but did't stay long. We aren't catholic and we don't speak french so we had no idea what was going on!  Even when mass is being held, they let people wander around and tour ND.  



























     We then headed to find a cafe for breakfast.  When I saw lemon juice on the menu I knew I had to have it.  I was hoping the lemon juice would work some magic on my puffy eyes and swollen hands and feet. Guys, I do not travel well. Cute shoes and rings are a lost cause because I cannot get them on when I travel.  It was so tart, sour and delicious - it was straight lemon juice with a lot of pulp. I was a fan! Barrett ordered grapefruit juice and a Nutella and banana crepe.












          Sainte-Chapelle was next on our list. It is a gothic style chapel known for it's stained glass.  It is just a block or so from Notre Dame














   We then headed towards the Louvre. We didn't have plans to go inside, Barrett spent a day in the Louvre on a student trip a few years ago and she wasn't crazy about doing that again and Hubs and I really aren't museum people. 




















What would they do without me?


  

We tried to sneak in a few pictures of this couple. Aren't they the epitome of a Parisian couple? We decided that she must be a fashion blogger in Paris or France because he was taking a lot of pictures of her and she had all of her model poses down pat. She also changed her purse, scarf and shoes.  We have tried to find her blog to see if we made it into the background of her post. If we did, Barrett and I probably look very creepy because we pretty much stalked them around the Louvre courtyard. 


     The rest of the day we walked and walked all over Paris and of course stopped in Laduree for some macaroons.  Oh my gosh, this place!  It is so cute inside and full of more colors and flavors than I can name! 














We stopped for lunch...



we stopped to stretch...




and no trip with the Odoms would be complete without a blister stop!







 Parisian Blister Buddies!!!



     After a little rest in our hotel room, we headed out towards the restaurant where we were having dinner. We took a longer route to get there so that we could see another part of Paris, through a mostly residential area.  Early evening is definitely the time of day that Paris comes alive. The cafes are crowded, the families are out and the air is full of delicious things to eat.






    
      Our little restaurant was down an empty alley behind a very inconspicuous door.  We had to step down a few steps, duck our heads and walk through a few smaller rooms to get into the main area of the restaurant. It was smaller, rustic and very very french.  We sat at a table beside a window with the shutters open looking into a  hidden courtyard with lots of french balconies and flowers. If that wasn't perfect enough, it started to thunder and lightning and eventually pour.  It was just so perfect! 



I order the onion soup for an appetizer,




Barrett ordered a french cheese melted with butter and honey,



and Art ordered the homemade pasta with a truffle sauce.




For dessert, we split a pear poached in milk chocolate with ice cream and whipped cream.
Delicious! I am actually going to look for a recipe like this and give this a try over the holidays because it is my kind of dessert.....a piece of fruit drowned in chocolate!

     It was still raining cats and dogs when we left. We ran and hid under doorways all the way back to the hotel. We laughed all the way and when we got back to our room we were drenched!





   Up next, my last Paris post, Summer 2017 in review and I am working on Brittany's wedding. I really wish I had not gotten so behind or ignored my little blog.  I have so many things I want to post about!


Au revoir! 


3 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

OMG... I love all your pics! You are too funny. Blister stops are common in our family as well. Have a great weekend!!

R's Rue said...

Love.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour. Very interesting post. I think your dessert is a "poire Belle Hélène".
I am looking forward to reading your next posts, especially about the wedding since our son will get married next year and I can compare French and US traditions. Caroline